With a raw cakey chocolate crust and a decadently creamy chocolate filling, this gluten-free and vegan Chocolate Cream Pie will make you swoon!
For the cakey crust
- 1¼ cups (120g) almond flour
- ¾ cup (about 130g) Medjool dates, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes if they’re not soft, drain before using
- ¼ cup (21g) cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons (25g) coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
For the chocolate filling
- 1½ cups (180g) raw cashews (soaked in water for at least four hours or preferably overnight, drain and rinse before using)
- ½ cup (114g) full-fat canned coconut milk
- 4 oz. (113g) Hu Kitchen Gems or other dark chocolate, melted
- ⅓ cup (113g) pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons (25g) refined coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons (11g) cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 can coconut whipping cream
- Hu Kitchen Gems
- Grease a 6” springform pan with coconut oil, or line an 6” cake pan with strips of parchment paper for easy removal, and grease well with coconut oil. You could also use an 8″ springform pan if you want a thinner pie. Set aside.
- Add the almond flour, pitted dates, cacao powder, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and salt to a food processor or high-powered blender and pulverize until it comes together into a sort of sticky dough. Don’t over process, or it will get oily! Press evenly along the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In the same food processor or high-powered blender used for the crust (no need to wash between – I used my Vitamix, but most powerful blenders should do the job), combine all of the filling ingredients and blend for about 2 to 4 minutes, or until the mixture is silky smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides as necessary. You may need to add a bit more coconut milk to get it to blend smoothly if your blender isn’t super high-powered.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pan over the chocolate. Smooth out the top and tap the pan hard against the counter a few times to release any air bubbles.
- Place in the freezer to set for at least 3 hours or in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, or until completely firm, before topping with whipped coconut cream.
- Once the filling is firm, garnish with whipped coconut cream and more Hu Kitchen Gems.
If you want to make this ASAP, you can pour boiling water over the raw cashews and just let them soak for about an hour or so. They might not get quite as soft, but after blending they’ll be almost just as creamy!
Keywords: chocolate, vegan, cream, pie, coconut, whip cream, frosting, gluten-free