These Gluten-Free Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins are so tender and flavorful! They’re the perfect healthy breakfast or snack to enjoy all Spring long.
- ⅓ (75g) cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ¾ cup (6 ounces) unsweetened almond milk or other dairy-free milk
- ¼ cup (64g) creamy almond butter or other nut or seed butter
- ¼ cup (50g) refined coconut oil melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120g) gluten-free oat flour
- 1 cup (96g) blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with liners or grease with coconut oil.
In a large mixing bowl, combine applesauce, coconut sugar, almond milk, nut butter, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
Add oat flour, almond flour, flax meal, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until combined. Fold in the shredded carrots and nuts.
Divide between the 12 muffin tins. Garnish with a pecan, if desired. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until puffy and a toothpick comes out clean. The muffins should spring back when pressed lightly with a fingertip.
Once done, let cool completely on a wire rack. If desired, glaze the muffins with drizzled coconut butter.
Store leftovers in an airtight container on the counter for up to three days, or store in the refrigerator for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months. I like to freeze and heat a muffin in the microwave when I want it!
- The applesaucecan be replaced with mashed banana or even pumpkin!
- Any granulated sweetener can be used in place of the coconut sugar, but don’t use a liquid sweetener, like honey or maple syrup.
- Any kind of neutrally flavored oil can work in place of the coconut oil, or even melted butter (vegan or regular).
- You can use all of either type of flour if necessary, or replace with a GF AP Baking flour. If you can though, the recommended flours will make for the best texture.
Keywords: gluten-free, vegan, carrot cake, carrot muffins