These rich Double Chocolate Macaroons are super chocolatey, thanks to both cocoa powder and melted chocolate. These easy vegan cookies are dipped and drizzled with chocolate, and they’re naturally gluten-free.
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder, preferably Dutch processed
- 1½ cups (120g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled slightly (you can use dark chocolate if you don’t want them quite as bittersweet)
- ¼ cup (2 oz/60g) homemade coconut butter or store-bought, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the chocolate drizzle
- 3 oz. dark chocolate (dairy free, if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 275°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the almond flour, cocoa powder, unsweetened shredded coconut, and salt. In a separate bowl or large liquid measuring cup, whisk together the maple syrup, melted chocolate, melted coconut butter, and vanilla extract. Pour over the shredded coconut mixture and stir until completely combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop (preferable) or a spoon, form tablespoon-sized balls on the prepared baking sheet. They can be pretty close together – they’ll only puff up a little bit.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for another 7-10 minutes or until they are dry to the touch. Let cool completely before dipping.
- After the macaroons have cooled completely, melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between each, until completely smooth. Dip each macaroon into the melted chocolate to coat the bottom, letting the excess drip back into the bowl, then lay it on a clean sheet of parchment paper. If desired, put the excess chocolate in a zip bag and snip the corner to drizzle over the macaroons. Let cool at cool room temperature or in the refrigerator until the chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.
- Store leftovers at room temperature in a sealed zip bag or an airtight container.
Recipe adapted from Chocolate-Dipped Vanilla Bean Macaroons from Oh She Glows Everyday