- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup almonds
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon (5g) cocoa powder
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate*
- ¼ cup flaked almonds (toasted (optional))
- Soak the dates in hot water for about 10 minutes.
- Drain dates, and add dates, almonds and walnuts to a high powdered blender (like the Vitamix) or a food processor. Process the almonds, walnuts and dates until very fine. Add all remaining ingredients except the dark chocolate and flaked almonds, then process for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture is uniform and well combined.
- Press the mixture into a 8×8 dish or pan lined with greaseproof paper (and overhang to remove the bars later on), then let them set in the fridge for about an hour.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave (stirring every 30 seconds until melted), then spread the melted chocolate over the top of the bars. Sprinkle with flaked almonds (if using), then return to the fridge for another 2-3 hours or until the chocolate has set.
- Remove the bars using the parchment, then cut into 12 equal bars. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
*Ensure chocolate meets your dietary restrictions
Recipe adapted from The Foodie Teen’s Chocolate Hazelnut Energy Bars