- 2 cups raw almonds (or a mixture of your favorite nuts)
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 cup (60g) flaked coconut, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons (15g) cocoa powder
- ¼ cup (60g) honey (or maple, to keep vegan)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil (70g)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup dark chocolate (chopped (see Notes))
- Soak almonds and pepitas in water with a pinch of salt overnight or for about 8 hours. Soaking the nuts first removes the enzyme inhibitors, making them easier to digest.
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- Drain and rinse the nuts and dry them with a cloth towel. Chop the nuts into small pieces and chunks, or place the nuts in the bowl of a food processor and pulse briefly until just coarsely chopped. I chopped them so that not all of the nuts were the same size for variety, but do whichever you’d like!
- In large bowl, stir together the chopped nuts, flaked coconut, chia seeds, and cocoa powder. Add the honey, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract and sea salt and stir until all of the dry ingredients are completely coated in the wet ingredients.
- Place the granola on a Silpat or parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for about 2-1/2 to 3 hours, stirring every half hour.
- Let cool slightly, and stir in the chopped dark chocolate. Let cool completely, and enjoy! Store in the refrigerator.
To keep Paleo & refined sugar free, try making your own Paleo Chocolate.