Have you ever heard of a Baru Nut? These superfood nuts are super high in protein and antioxidants, making them a great addition to your diet! This simple recipe shows you how to make a delicious Baru Nut Butter. It’s gluten-free and vegan, with a paleo-option.
- 8 oz. (1 heaping cup) roasted baru nuts, preferably with the shells removed, see Notes
- 2–4 tablespoons coconut oil, peanut butter, or cashew butter, I used peanut butter
- Salt, to taste
- Place the baru nuts in a high-powered blender or food processor (I use my Vitamix). Blend on medium-high speed for a few minutes or until the nuts have mostly broken down and started to form a butter. How long this takes will depend on the power of your machine. Scrape down the sides of the machine as necessary or use the tamper to keep things moving.
- Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, peanut butter, or cashew butter and blend to combine – this should make things thin out and blend more easily. Taste and add more of the coconut oil or nut butter to get it to your desired consistency and flavor. I probably added about 4 tablespoons of peanut butter. Add salt to taste – I didn’t add any because the peanut butter I used was salted.
- Pour into a jar and store in a cool dry place.
To make the shells easier to remove, put the nuts in a oven preheated to 350°F and roast for about 5 minutes. This will loosen the shells – when they come out of the oven, put on a kitchen towel and roll them around roughly. This should loosen most of the skins. Pull off any loosened skins that didn’t come off.
Keywords: baru, baru nut, baru nuts, nut butter