This Arugula Pesto Pasta Bowl with Broccoli is one of my favorite quick and easy go-to meals! It’s filling, nutritious, and simple to make in just 30 minutes. You’re going to want to put the homemade dairy-free arugula pesto on everything!
For the pesto
- ½ cup raw pecans
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, stems removed
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 2 small garlic cloves
- Zest & juice from 1-2 lemons, depending on size/taste preferences
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
For the roasted broccoli
- 2 heads of broccoli, cut off the stem and cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Salt, pepper + garlic powder, to taste
For the pasta
- 1 box gluten-free pasta, I used Banza rotini
- 1 big handful of arugula, about 1 to 1½ cups
- Garnish: Hemp seeds, vegan parmesan, and sprouts
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil (optional, for easy cleanup). Place the chopped broccoli on the baking sheet and drizzle with avocado oil. Sprinkle on your spices and use your hands to toss to combine, making sure all of the broccoli is lightly coated in spices and oil. Roast for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, bring 6 cups of salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions. If you’re using Banza or another lentil/chickpea pasta, make sure to rinse in warm water when it’s done cooking and return to the empty pot.
- While the broccoli roasts and the pasta cooks, prepare the pesto. Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or high-powered blender (I used my Vitamix). Pulse on low speed until the ingredients come together. Make sure to scrape down the sides if you’re using a food processor. If you’re using a blender, keep the motor on low and use a tamper/scrape down the sides to make sure your pesto doesn’t become too smooth and pureed. You want the ingredients broken up into little bits, but not completely smooth. Taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and lemon to taste. If you want it thinner, you can add more olive oil or switch to filtered water – I ended up adding about ¼ cup of water to get it to my desired consistency.
- Once everything is finished, add the broccoli and pesto to the pasta, along with a big handful of fresh arugula. Stir together over very low heat to warm everything up and help wilt the arugula. Once the arugula is wilted, you’re ready to serve.
- Add to bowls and garnish with hemp seeds, sprouts, and vegan parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
The nutritional info assumes you’ll use all the pesto, but you might have a little leftover, like I did. You can save any leftovers in an airtight jar or container in the fridge!
- Calories: 546
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 102
- Fat: 33
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Carbohydrates: 52
- Fiber: 16
- Protein: 24
Keywords: arugula, broccoli, lemon, pasta, pesto